Sunday 18 September 2011

Robert Owens - One Tear plus INTERVIEW


From a new label featuring two new-ish names (see Mendo & Hector Couto, below) to a true past master of the house music game - Robert Owens, the voice of classics like Tears, I'll Be Your Friend, Was I Here Before, Tear Down The Walls, Walk A Mile In My Shoes and many more.

One Tear doesn't see Mr Owens (to you) going down any particularly startling new routes, or anything – especially when you consider his many forays into D&B and other musical pastures, this is pretty much classic Owens-style vocal Chicago house music.
But if it ain't broke, as they say… suffice to say, for Owens fans this is a must-have.

What's more, as so often with Owens' work, there's also a slightly melancholic, mournful feel to the whole thing… both lyrically ("sometimes I didn't see it coming/sometimes I didn't see the clouds before the rain"), and – thanks to the minor-key synth motif – musically. Which is something I asked Robert about when he kindly agreed to answer some questions exclusively for TIWWD readers.

TIWWD: How did you come to hook up with Tevo Howard for the release of One Tear?
Robert:
We both played at the same gig and thought it would be great to do a track together as we both respect each other's work.

TIWWD: Is there a particular story to One Tear? In many of your songs there seems to be a theme of loss, would you care to talk about that at all?
Robert:
Yes, loss is a big part of my life, past to present – but not just my life but for many people around the world. I’ve always felt if I could let others know I’ve experienced the same emotions they’re feeling and going through, I might help ease some of their problems if I could shine a light on a view to lift them out of that state of mind. Many of my ‘loss’ thoughts have a ‘way out’ theme.

TIWWD: After so many years in the game, does it get harder to come up with new ideas? Or do you feel your craft as a singer/songwriter is still developing, in the way (for instance) a painter may feel the work they do at 50 is more proficient than the work they did at 25?
Robert:
Everything about me and my view to life and giving is natural. I don’t try, I apply, and every day a page keeps turning, from old to new. I’m grateful for the people in my life, they are my lifeline.

TIWWD: Another question regarding longevity... how do you find you get along, as an ‘elder statesman’ of house music, with the up-and-coming producers, labels, promoters etc today?
Robert:
I’m lucky, so far most people I meet know who I am and I’m not short on people asking to work with me. That’s the beauty of this business that keeps me strong.

TIWWD: Are there any plans to come to the UK for gigs to promote this release?
Robert:
Every week I’m flying to some part of the world to play so it could be the UK next week. Or even tomorrow!

TIWWD: Finally, when I spoke to you for iDJ a few years back, you were putting a lot of energy into DJing as well as singing. Is this still the case?
Robert:
Yes, I still like loving people… and one hand washes the other.

Out: The single One Tear is out this week on Tevo Howard Recordings

About: Chicago label Tevo Howard, owned and run by the artist/producer of the same name, can be found online here. There's a pretty good profile piece over at Resident Advisor as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment