Friday 16 September 2011

Anthony Mansfield & DJ Garth - Pancho's Revenge

I'm loving the way this is billed on the hype sheet as 'nu-disco/late-night sleaze'. I'm not sure I entirely agree - not with the nu-disco part, anyway – but you've got to love the coining of 'late-night sleaze' as a genre.

And sleazy, down and dirty it certainly is… though how you'd classify Pancho's Revenge in genre terms I'm not entirely sure. Beat Broker's Remix is a kind of proggy, drifty affair while the Ilya Santana mix I guess does kinda take us into nu-disco territory with its Moroder-ish synths. But you see that doesn't help much, because the real reason this is here is the much harder-to-define Original Mix, whose primary distinguishing characteristic is some ace wah-wah guitar, which sits atop beats I guess you could vaguely call sort of tech-house-ish. Maybe.

I'm not helping much, am I? Mostly what I want to say though is this reminds me A LOT of the classic False Leader by Gary Clail, which is the reason I've already played it about four times when I only got sent it this morning. So it really doesn't matter what category you want to file it under… this is just great.

Out: This week

About: This is on Mansfield's own label, Hector Works (follow the label link for the usual social media pages). And yes, it is the DJ Garth of Grayhound fame, just in case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment