Monday 15 August 2011

Kamo - Hulme EP

I used to live in Hulme, which for those not in the UK is a somewhat, ahem, 'run-down' part of Manchester*. So, evidently, do Aussies Kamo… and to celebrate that fact, they've put together this hard-to classify EP.

The track that's doing it most for me is Gin N' Wine, a bumpy, off-kilter slab of future garage. I guess you could also just about apply the 'future garage' tag to I Have You, though I'd personally say it's more just a downtempo cut than anything. My Submarine then takes us into bruk beat territory, before we end with Lights Out, which comes on like a Harold Budd ambient number at first before breaking out into a kind of future garage/R&B/broken beat fusion-type thing.

Like I said, it's hard to classify overall but this is forward-thinking stuff for sure, and definitely worthy of your attention.

Out: This week

About: This is on Losing Suki, which is an offshoot of London-based label Hypercolour

*Actually to be fair it's a lot better now than it was, it's all been demolished and redeveloped and cleaned-up and stuff. But while I was living there I got mugged once and had a gun pointed at me another time, and they found someone murdered directly below my bedroom window (albeit five floors down)… and I only lived there four months. In the good bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment