Monday 20 September 2010

The Model - Love Songs For Robots

Not quite sure how you'd classify this one, but as I just mentioned my robot collection in the last post, then spotted this in the 'to blog' folder as I signed out, I figured now was a good time to give it a mention!

I guess you'd file it somewhere between nu-disco and techno/electro. But there's a fine line with all this retro analogue stuff, isn't there? Sure, You is a nice piece of electronica that owes not a little to Detroit techno, while Still In My Heart (in its Original, instrumental form) provides the synthy nu-Italo fun; but on Japanese Garden, and particularly on the vocal version of Still In My Heart, we're veering dangerously close to J-MJ/Vangelis and dodgy 80s synth-pop territory, respectively.

My Favorite Robot are touting this as "their most important release to date", on the basis that The Model is already a big name in electro circles. That's not something I can comment on, really, but for me, two out of four ain't bad.

Out: It just says "September" so now-ish

About: Not a label that've featured on TIWWD before, I don't think, My Favorite Robot describe themselves as "building a catalogue of music that incorporates the best of electro, techno, nu-disco and house". Presumably they've listed those genres in descending order of importance to them, which is maybe why they've not featured here much cos my order of preference would be exactly the reverse… but anyway their back cat features the likes of Sasse and Phonogenic so they're not to be dismissed. Here's their website for your non-dismissing pleasure… and here's their MySpace so you can not-dismiss them some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment