Friday 22 April 2011

Synkro - Look At Yourself

Synkro Look At YourselfApparently this track is already getting quite a lot of props in dubstep/future garage circles, and I'm not surprised – it's really quite stunningly good.

The hype sheet describes Look At Yourself as "sitting in the middle ground of ambient electronica, R&B and garage". I'm not sure I'd agree with the R&B bit so much but it's not a bad description all the same. I'm going to go for 'Donna Dee meets Massive Attack' - informed by UKG in the beats and the use of chopped-up vocal snippets, Look At Yourself is a strong contender for 'downtempo cut of the year' if you ask me! A simply beautiful piece of music. Nuff said.

On the B, It's is essentially in a very similar vein, while Girl is similar but with the R&B influence clearer in the use of crooned male vox as a sound source. While neither quite comes up to the level of Look At You, the EP as a whole nevertheless marks out Synkro as very definitely an artist to keep a close eye on. More soon, please!

Out: That I can't tell you – slackness on the PR's part, I'm afraid. Honestly, how hard can it be?

About: I CAN tell you that this is on Mindset Records, the Manchester-based label run by another producer you should definitely be looking out for, Indigo. Their website isn't properly up and running yet but you can find Synkro on MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment