Saturday 6 June 2009

Speedometer - 'Speedometer Live'

Until I got this album I didn't know anything about Speedometer... and after a bit of a trawl on the interweb I still don't. Where's yer viral marketing eh, Speedometer peeps? All I can really tell you is what it says here which is also where you can hear the album. Do you get that? You're meant to click on the link you see. Tee hee.

Did you click yet?

If you did then you don't need me to tell you this is one for all the lovers of new-old funk à la Dapp Kings, Haggis Horns etc. In fact this is the one mention I could find of Speedometer on Wikipedia (from the entry for 'Funk'):

Since the mid 1990s the nu-funk scene, centered around the Deep Funk collectors scene, is producing new material influenced by the sounds of rare funk 45's. Labels include Desco, Soul Fire, Daptone, Timmion, Neapolitan, Kay-Dee, and Tramp. Bands include Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, The Soul Destroyers, The Grits, Chris Joss, Speedometer, The Poets of Rhythm, The Neapolitans, Quantic Soul Orchestra, The New MastersoundsBreakestraThe Bamboos and Lefties Soul Connection.

That's about it really. Oh… except that the album also includes a cover of The Chi-Lites' Am I Your Woman (Tell Me So), which you hopefully don't need me to tell you is the original source for Crazy In Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment