Sunday 14 March 2010

Rainer Weichhold - Ride The Horse

A bit late on this one, but it was just too good to ignore… and anyway I’ve promised them, now. So forgive me that it’s been out a few weeks, eh?


The original mix of Ride The Horse is a techy-ish houser with a hip-twisting main riff and – a first in house music that I can remember – a sample of a horse whinnying. Or neighing, or whatever it is that horses do. It sounds a bit daft… well, I suppose it is a bit daft, but it reminds me of days back in the ’90s when we were all a bit less snobbish and chin-strokey, and I like it. So there.


And then you’ve got four remixes to choose from. Robytek & Ralf Armani go all big dark room, with whooshy kicks and maximum loopage; UGLH & Federico Locchi take the track down a more discofied kinda route, and Doomwork deliver a stripped-down pass that owes a little to techno, but only techno in its purest Detroitiest form, with a neat little jazz trumpet riff thrown in for good measure. To round out the EP, Aki Bergen takes us into the very lushest of deep house pastures, with a rub that you could POSSIBLY describe as a bit generic deep, except that it’s just so damn GOOD – up enough for the floor, mellow enough for home, just the way we like it.


So yeah, a pretty spiffing EP all round, then, with a varied set of mixes to appeal to a range of jocks and/or suit a range of moods/times/settings.


Out: For a few weeks now, but like I said it was too good to leave unsung!


About: This is on Italian label Starlight Records, about whom I know very little but here’s their website. Likewise I’m not that clued up on Herr Weichhold, but here’s his MySpace (where you can currently HEAR Ride The Horse for yourself)


No comments:

Post a Comment