Monday 17 May 2010

Loops - Esther Moose

I saw the episode of Black Books last night where they try and write a children's book… the title of this kind of reminds me of that. But that's neither here nor there, really.

A more relevant thing to tell you might be that Loops are a pair of Dutch newcomers called Sebastiaan Smink and Acket Boris, and this is their very first ever release in the whole world ever. Esther Moose itself is a quirky 'is it house? is it downtempo/chill?' kinda thang with what appears to be a xylophone taking the lead role. It's complemented by three mixes of Hink Strap Sprong, which I THINK might be 'Hop, Step, Jump' in Dutch, but don't quote me on that. Here, that xylophone jousts with a Moog-ish sounding organ on a track that sits in that same house/leftfield hinterland as Esther Moose; remixes from Baldo and from William Kouam Djoko then take it more emphatically into house and leftfield territory, respectively.

All told, it's a bit of an oddity, this… but a very enjoyable one. More please, Dutch bods.

Out: 19 May

About: Think I've told you most of what I know about Loops. This is on Neovinyl Recordings, who appear to be based in Barcelona, Malaga and London (go figure) and who can be found on MySpace here.

4 comments:

  1. (: it is our 4th, 5th coming up on Traumschallplatten the 21st.. really nice review though:) Check myspace.com/loopslive

    cheers from Loops! NL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I stand corrected! Thanks Boris... it's always nice to get a bit of feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - it tickles my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever tried out for one of these sample producer competitions, I have been thinking about trying out for the DanceMidiSamples contest. If I win I get to make a samples pack in a professional recording studio and sell my pack as a DMS producer.

    ReplyDelete